Friday 24 May 2024, 9:00-17:00 (BST)
Led by: Dr Ruth Conroy, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Dr Emma Reid, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust, Dr Jo Coote, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Dr Rachel Hyland, The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
This workshop is made up of 2 half day online sessions, Monday 22 January 9am -1pm and Tuesday 23 January 9am-1pm. The Supervisor Skills course introduces the General Medical Council (GMC) requirements for the roles of named educational and clinical supervisors and provides training for those roles to the GMC benchmark. The course content maps to the Academy of Medical Educators standards and will fulfil the requirements for recognition as a trainer for the General Medical Council. The RCR Supervisor Skills course meets all five core values for medical educators of the Academy of Medical Educators.
This course will include the following areas in greater depth:
- Structure of education; bodies involved and their roles
- Civility, bullying and harassment
- EDI and differential attainment
- Attributes of a good trainer
- Signposting for help with trainees
- Role of GMC; promoting excellence and regulatory framework
- Expectations: Gold Guide
- RCR curriculum, Kaizen portfolio
- Good training behaviours
- Identify and differentiate the roles of clinical and educational supervisors
- Describe the standards which supervisors are expected to meet
- Set clear SMART objectives for personal development plans
- Carry out an effective appraisal
- Give appropriate and effective feedback
- Describe the assessment system and how trainees’ performance is assessed in the workplace
Who should attend
This course is designed for consultants who have some experience of UK training to acquire the appropriate skills to become an educational and clinical supervisor for clinical radiology or clinical oncology specialist trainees. It assumes prior knowledge of UK training as a former trainee, or previous work in a UK Teaching department.
As an interactive workshop, delegates are expected to participate in all activities.
Attending this event will allow you to gain 6 CPD credits. Please note this event is not being recorded and will not be available for live streaming or for digital access after the event.
Once you have completed your registration, you will receive an email confirming your place at the event. If you do not receive this email confirmation within 24 hours please contact the conference team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Consultant RCR Fellow and member
Sponsors and Exhibitors
If you are interested in sponsoring this event, please contact Hannah Walker, Corporate Partnerships Officer
“I found this course really useful, and it has made me clearer about the role of an ES and given me the confidence to take it on.”
“Sharing anecdotal and real-life examples were the best way of conveying how the theory and expectations translate into a real-life situation.”